Bat Your Way To A Fitter You on Qatar's Padel Courts
There are plenty of ways for Qatar's citizens and residents to keep fit following specific exercise programmes at gyms, exercise classes, dance classes, yoga groups, and aqua aerobics classes - but what about racket sports? Racket sports not only keep you fit but are great social outlets and help add a competitive dynamic to your exercise!
Football may reign supreme in Qatar, especially as hosts of the 2022 World Cup, but many other team sports are popular across the country. In particular, Padel has, in recent years, gained popularity and an ever-increasing fan base, helped in part by Qatar's hosting of the first Padel World Cup in the Middle East in 2021.
If you haven't heard of Padel, here's a quick rundown of what to expect:
What is Padel?
Padel is a racket sport similar to tennis, though the game is played on a smaller-sized, enclosed court of glass walls and wire fencing. Unlike tennis, Padel balls can be played off the court's walls, similar to squash.
Generally played in doubles, the objective of the game is to score the most points against your opponent to win games, sets and matches - just like tennis. The game is also played with similar rules to tennis. The opposition scores points if the ball bounces twice on your side of the net before your return shot or if your ball hits the wire fence or walls before bouncing on the opponent's side of the court - a shot deemed as 'out'. Again like tennis, the ball must hit the floor once before a return strike, except during a volley. Unlike tennis, the ball serve must be underhand at or below waist level - a mercifully less technical shot.
Players of Padel use rackets with shorter handles than tennis bats for better ball control. The racket's carbon fibre or fibreglass frame holds a stringless, solid rubber head with aerodynamic holes strategically placed across the face. Why? A cheeky trick to reduce weight and air resistance while playing. And the balls used in Padel are similar to tennis balls but with reduced internal pressure. Thus, creating less bounce and a more technical game.
Who can play Padel?
Compared to tennis, Padel is heralded as a relatively easy game for new players to master over a short period, as well as being suitable for all ages and mixed groups. The game is slower, less technical and less physically demanding than tennis; it demands more strategy than strength and power - so it is more accessible across age, gender and ability, and for mixed groups.
However, despite Padel's differences from tennis, it is a great sport for fitness, offering aerobic, cardio and strengthening exercise. It also provides a myriad of other benefits...
Benefits of Playing Padel
- It's accessible for all ages;
- It's great for improving your hand-eye coordination, balance and reflexes;
- It helps to improve aerobic capacity, and helps to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system, and improves muscle strength and tone;
- Like all sports, playing Padel helps to relieve stress and boost self-confidence;
- And playing as part of a doubles team provides an excellent social outlet and improves teamwork and communication skills.
Where to Play Padel?
14/ Love, located in the Gate Mall, has Padel courts situated on the roof of the mall. They offer personal training and have a retail shop where you can get all things Padel. And if you have a backyard, you can also reach out to them to help you set up your own Padel court at home!
- Location: The Gate Mall, Doha
- Opening Hours: 7 am - 3 am daily
- Rental Costs: 200 QAR per hour
Personal training - 400 QAR per hour per person
- Booking Details: +974 7091 1603 or download the OxFitnessLab App
- Website: https://www.fourteenlove.com/
Doha Oasis is home to three outdoor Padel courts, which are floodlit for night play. If you need to purchase Padel supplies (tea, coffee or snacks), a shop is available on site. The courts also have a dedicated parking facility.
- Location: Doha Oasis, Msheireb
- Opening Hours: 2 pm - 10 pm daily
- Rental Costs: QR300 per hour or QR75 per person
- Booking Details: +974 5533 8830 or download the Doha Oasis Padel app
- Website: https://www.dohaoasis.com/padel/
Padel Garden Katara Hills
Padel Garden at Katara Green Hills has seven outdoor Padel courts, which includes ladies-only courts. So, if you’d like to enjoy the stunning views of Karata Village and Doha City from the Hills while you play, book via their app today.
- Location: Katara Hills, Doha
- Opening Hours: 4 pm – 12 am daily
- Rental Costs: 200 QAR per hour, 250 QAR per 1.5 hours, 350 QAR per 2 hours
- Booking Details: +974 3330 9090 or download the Padel Garden App
- Website: https://padelgarden.qa/
Super Active Padel
Super Active Padel in Al Markhiya Sports Club features three outdoor Padel courts. The club offers personal coaching as well as group lessons, which can be requested via their website. They also host competitions from time-to-time, open for all levels of players from beginners upwards. Padel equipment is also available to rent here.
- Location: Al Markhiya Sports Club
- Opening Hours: 5 pm – 2 am daily
- Rental Costs: 240 QAR per hour (240 QAR for an extra hour),
300 QAR per 1.5 hours
- Booking Details: +974 3003 1113 or via the Super Active website
Padel Up has four courts, located on the rooftop of J Mall, that provide stunning vistas of the city. Three of the four courts are for doubles matches and one is for singles. The club courts are mixed, they also run a Ladies Day on Wednesdays. If you’d rather watch a game or two, there is an eatery on site where you can sit down and relax while watching.
- Location: J Mall, Hazm Al Markhiya, Doha
- Opening Hours: 9 am – 4 am daily
- Rental Costs: 190 QAR per hour, 220 QAR per 1.5 hours, 300 QAR per 2 hours
- Booking Details: +974 3368 8801
- Website: https://thepadelup.com
Let's Padel located in Al Arabi Sports Club started in 2017, and is one of the earliest Padel clubs to have opened in Qatar. The club offers bookings day and night, though currently does not offer any coaching.
- Location: Al Arabi Sports Club, Doha
- Opening Hours: 8 am – 4 am, Saturday to Thursday;
8 am – 12 pm, 1:30 pm – 4 am, Friday
- Booking Details: +974 5526 1359 or via the Let’s Padel website
- Website: https://letspadel.qa/
Located in the Sheraton Grand Hotel on Doha’s Corniche, Padel Doha features six outdoor courts for Padel enthusiasts with panoramic views of the ocean. Equipment is available to rent on site.
- Location: Sheraton Hotel, Doha
- Opening Hours: 7:30 am – 12 am daily
- Costs: 260 QAR per hour, 300 QAR per 1.5 hours
- Booking Details: +974 6646 6702 or via the Padel Doha website
- Website: http://www.dohasportcompany.com/
Padel Pro Qatar
For Padel lovers in Al Wakrah, Padel Pro Qatar is the place to enjoy your game. The club offers coaching services for one to four players and racket rental at QAR 30 per time slot, per player.
- Location: Al Wakrah Sports Complex, Al Razi St, Al Wakrah
- Opening Hours: 8 am – 2 am daily
- Rental Costs: 240 QAR per hour, 300 QAR per 1.5 hours
Personal training - 390 QAR for 1 player, 290 QAR for 2 players,
200 QAR for 3 and 160 for 4 players
- Booking Details: +974 5071 6138 or via the Padel Pro Qatar website
- Website: http://www.padel-pro.net/
Padel In has courts in several locations around Qatar, in Al Waab, Doha city centre, Al Khor to the north and Sealine to the south. Each club features indoor courts, while the City Centre and Aspire clubs have separate facilities for ladies as well. All clubs offer personal training and the Padel In group also hosts an academy offering intensive programs designed for different age groups at different expertise levels with professional coaches.
- Location: Aspire Zone, Umm Suwayya St, Al Waab
Al Taawon St, Al Khor
City Centre Mall, Doha
Beach Road, Sealine
- Opening Hours:
- Aspire: 7 am – 4 am daily
- City Centre Doha: 8 am – 5 am daily
- Al Khor: 8 am – 4 am daily
- Sealine: 8 am – 12 am, Saturday to Thursday
8 am – 4 am, Friday
- Rental Costs: 260 QAR per 1.5 hours before 12 pm
320 QAR per 1.5 hours after 12 pm
- Booking Details:
- Aspire: +974 5098 0098
- City Centre Doha: +974 5599 4799
- Al Khor: +974 3119 6090
- Sealine: +974 3000 9585
- or via the Padel In website
- Website: http://padelin.com/
Main image: https://www.superactive.qa/
Put some joy in your workout; try trampoline aerobics - more efficient than running and twice as much fun.
Get on your bike and check out Qatar’s cycling network, tracks and trails.
If you love to put the distance in, Qatar has some fantastic annual long-distance races to take part in.
Running is a great exercise, but staying motivated alone can be tricky. So, why not join one of Qatar’s running clubs?