1.What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognise and remember you. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive or tablet or mobile device. When you visit our website, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
- Showing you content that is relevant to you
- Working with partners to serve you relevant advertising
Ultimately, this allows us to publish the content that you read on our website.
Other organisations also collect user information on our website through cookies, tags and pixels. Tags and pixels, also known as web beacons, are similar to cookies but are collected through embedded images.
Using cookies and other technology allows other organisations to help us to analyse how our site is being used, measure the number of visitors to the site, and display advertising.
Cookies that are used by QL Events are referred to as “first-party cookies” and those that are used by our partners are “third-party cookies”. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access third-party cookies; nor can other organisations access the data in the cookies we use on our website. There are more details about both in the following sections.
3. What types of cookies do we use?
We use four types of cookies, which we describe in this section.
- Essential – cookies that are essential to provide you with the services you have requested. For example, these include the cookies that make it possible for you to stay logged into your QL Events account and make comments. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these functions and services will not work for you. In particular, we won’t be able to save your preferences about cookies.
- Performance - cookies which measure how often you visit our sites and how you use them. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our content and to improve our website, so that users have a better experience. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. We also use third-party cookies to help with performance. For example, the Google Analytics cookie gives us information such as your journey between pages (details of how to opt out of it are below).
- Functionality – cookies that are used to recognise you and remember your preferences or settings when you return to our site so that we can provide you with a more personalised experience.
Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, the content you have viewed, the links you have followed and information about your browser, device and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below.
Cookies are a key part of how we deliver advertising on our sites. Among other uses, they allow us to show more relevant advertising to people who visit qlevents.qa by showing you adverts that are based on your browsing patterns and the way you have interacted with our website. We can then show you adverts which we believe may interest you.
The content that you read on our website is funded in part by advertising. However, our editorial content is not influenced by the advertising we display.
As you browse our site, some of the cookies and similar technology we place on your device are for advertising, so we can understand what sorts of pages you read and are interested in. We can then display advertising on your browser based on these interests.
The advertising techniques we use do not collect information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number. We sometimes use information such as your IP address and browser type and also sometimes share some limited aspects of this with third parties for advertising purposes.
For example, we place a pixel on our web pages that allows Facebook to place cookies on web browsers. When a QL Events user who uses Facebook returns to Facebook, Facebook can identify them as part of a group of QL Events users and on behalf of QL Events they can serve them with marketing messages from us. The data that can be obtained from a visit to the QL Events website is limited to the URL of the pages that have been visited, together with the limited information a browser might pass on, such as its IP address. If you are a Facebook user you can opt out by following the link below.
We may also share online data collected through cookies and similar technology with our advertising partners. This means that when you are on another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on qlevents.qa. We may also show you advertising on qlevents.qa website based on your browsing patterns on other sites that we have obtained from our advertising partners.
For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing adverts from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products you were browsing.
5. How to manage advertising cookies
|Facebook pixel||Advertising cookie|
|Google Ads||Advertising cookie|
|Google Analytics||Performance cookie|
|Google Ad Manager||Advertising cookie|
It is also possible to stop your browser from accepting cookies altogether by changing your browser’s cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser. The following links may be helpful, or you can use the “Help” option in your browser.
If you would like to contact us about cookies please email [email protected]